Installing fonts on mac and linux os is simple process follow the installation guide below.
At first download the font you want to install from "arabfonts.org"
There are two type of installation, GUI installation and from terminal
GUI (graphical user interface) installation.
- Open Finder and click on the Go section in the upper menu
- Select Go to Folder in the drop-down menu and click on it
- Type ~/Library/Fonts in the pop-up window and click Go
- The Fonts folder will show up
- Copy and paste (you can also drag and drop) all the unzipped font files to the Fonts folder
- The downloaded fonts are usually in a zipped file. Extract the zip file in Linux by right-clicking and selecting extract.
- Now go to this extracted folder and look for .ttf (TrueType Fonts) or .otf (openType Fonts) files
- Whichever it may be, just double-click on the font file. It will open it in Font Viewer application. In here, you can see the option to install the font in the top-right corner:
- You won’t really see anything being installed as you see when installing a software. Couple of seconds later, you’ll see the status has been changed to “Installed“. No prizes for guessing that the font has been now installed.
- Once installed, you can see the newly installed fonts in any application that uses fonts such as GIMP, Pinta etc.
Terminal Installation method
- Step 1 : Pull the fonts to your system
- Step 2 : Unpack the font archive
- Step 3 : Install the fonts
- Step 4 : Clear and regenerate your font cache
- Step 5 : Verify the installation
- Step 6 : Cleanup
$ curl -L -O https://github.com/source-foundry/Hack/releases/download/v3.003/Hack-v3.003-ttf.tar.gz
$ tar -xzvf Hack-v3.003-ttf.tar.gz
$ mkdir ~/.local/share/fonts
mv ttf/Hack-Regular.ttf ~/.local/share/fonts/Hack-Regular.ttf
$ mv ttf/Hack-Italic.ttf ~/.local/share/fonts/Hack-Italic.ttf
$ mv ttf/Hack-Bold.ttf ~/.local/share/fonts/Hack-Bold.ttf
$ mv ttf/Hack-BoldItalic.ttf ~/.local/share/fonts/Hack-BoldItalic.ttf
$ fc-cache -f -v
$ fc-list | grep "Hack"
$ rm -rf ttf && rm Hack-v3.003-ttf.tar.gz
Now you are good to go.